Sustainable East Amwell
Sustainable Jersey's mission is to empower New Jersey communities to build a better world for future generations with the tools, training and financial incentives necessary to pursue critical sustainability initiatives.
East Amwell's Green Team is working on educational, fun and inspiring Sustainable Jersey initiatives for ALL residents. Take a look at what we're currently working on - and consider joining us to help!
|Create a Green Team||Completed||10 Points|
|Create an Environmental Commission||Completed||Required|
|Community Education & Outreach||Ongoing||5 Points per initiative|
|Green Challenges / Green Fair||Planned||10 Points|
|Electric Vehicle Charging||Ongoing||15 Points|
|Farmers' Markets||Planned||10 Points|
|Private Well Testing & Outreach||Ongoing||10 - 25 Points|
|Tree Planting Programs/Protection Ordinance||Ongoing||10 Points|
|Recycling Initiatives||Planned||5 - 60 Points|
The Environmental Commission is pursuing the install of a DCFC charging station adjacent to the municipal building. East Amwell is a destination for day trippers to our wineries and farms, and for recreational enthusiasts, as well as a thoroughfare to Delaware River towns, and commuters between Trenton, Philadelphia and New York. Therefore we feel this would be a valuable opportunity which will, in turn, begin to make East Amwell and the Ringoes Village a welcoming, sustainable locale. It is 2021 after all-and hybrid/electric vehicles are becoming more prevalent!
- The first steps in this process is applying for the appropriate grants and getting install quotes. The grants would cover a majority of the install.
For now, read on about the viability of electric vehicles!
Residents may have noticed more activity within the EC ...
One of our (many) goals is to provide community education and outreach to East Amwell residents on sustainability matters. This includes participating in and planning volunteer opportunities such as Clean Communities events, green fests and other educational activities.
Initiatives include monthly updates in VIP, planning and participating in tree plantings and watershed cleanups, providing awareness and education about rain gardens, riparian buffers, deer management, tree maintenance and so on. CE&O so far includes:
- VIP & website updates, as well as a soon-to-be released quarterly online newsletter from the EC;
- Partnering with organizations to provide rain garden/barrel tutorials, and planning a green fest;
- Providing education to residents on tree maintenance and to other committees on various ordinances that may impact environmental standards within the township;
- Planning watershed cleanups with educators on hand;
- Pursuing education individually via Project WET, and Rutgers Environmental Steward programs