East Amwell Township is located in the southeastern corner of Hunterdon County where it borders both Somerset and Mercer Counties. It includes the unincorporated area of Ringoes, the oldest known settlement in Hunterdon County. Amwell Township was established by a royal patent from Queen Anne in 1708. Its territory comprised 200 square miles (520 km2) and included present day Delaware Township, Raritan Township, Readington Township, East Amwell Township and West Amwell Township and portions of Clinton, Lebanon and Tewksbury Townships. In 1846, Amwell was split into East and West Amwell and in 1954 a final adjustment was made to the two township's boundary lines.
Historic Landmark - Landis House